Saturday, August 25, 2012

Apple Annie's Orchard Dash 5K March for Zane

Preparing for the balloon release before the March for Zane walk.

Balloon release



Today was truly a great day.  I ran the Orchard Dash 5K at Apple Annie's and then my son and I participated in a one mile walk (also hosted at Apple Annie's held after the 5K).  The walk is the March for Zane.  It is a walk held every year in memory of a special little boy who only had a few weeks on this earth.

The picture in the top left is of my son holding his balloon prior to the balloon release before the start of the walk.  The picture in the top right is of the balloon release.  It was absolutely magnificent.  The picture does not do it justice.

I find it truly amazing and inspiring that a family can turn such a tragedy into something that will help millions of others.  Over the last five years the Holcomb-Kirkendall family has raised over $60, 000 dollars for the March of Dimes.

After the walk my son and I picked some delicious apples, pears, and peaches from the orchard.  We then treated ourselves to the yummy pancakes they were serving.

The drive was long, about an hour and a half each way, but well worth it.  There is something about going to these events together that is really special.  My son didn't do the 5K but he voluntarily participated (and liked, I might add) the one mile walk.  He even ran a good portion of it!

It was a privilege to participate in today's activities at Apple Annie's Orchard.  In the words of my ten year old son "It really is great to participate in something for a great cause."  I couldn't have said it any better and I feel truly blessed that I have a child who feels that way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment